Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Entropy

Main Entry: en·tro·py
Pronunciation: 'en-tr&-pE
Function: noun
1. a process of degradation or running down or a trend to disorder

My 10th grade science teacher informed us that, for all its applications to science, entropy could not be used to explain the state of our rooms. I think this is bullshit, because how else do you explain the state of my room?

Every day, I assiduously place things back in their proper place, but every morning I awake in a disaster zone. When I am at home, my mother is fond of walking into my room, gasping loudly, and declaring, "It looks like a tornado came through here." I will roll over and assess the situation: as always, there are clothes of indeterminate cleanliness, stray pieces of paper, handbags, magazines, shoes, and books strewn across the floor and on top of the chair. Nope, no tornado. Just entropy.

I have grown used to a life of chaos. I dump my shoes at random throughout the house, and expect to find them there later. My mother, however, is still fighting the good fight. I sometimes discover that my shoes have disappeared from where I dropped them at random. "Mom, where are my shoes?"
"Where do you think they are?"
"Well, I thought they were right here."
"Have you considered looking in the closet?"
"No! I didn't put my shoes in the closet, why would I look for them there?"

She then heaves her sigh of long suffering and attempts to organize the stacks of magazines on the coffee table. Slightly encouraged my mother's fighting spirit, I try to at least keep within fire codes. It is a requirement that our rooms have a clear path to the door. This is so that, should there be a terrible, illegal-scented-candle-tipping-over incident that sets everything ablaze, the occupant of the room will be able to escape past the burning walls of dirty clothes. I am proud to report that, despite entropy's best efforts, I will not be killed by flaming laundry.

I encourage everyone, the next time someone heckles you about having a less than pristine room (or house), to bring up entropy. After all, it's sounds much better than, "I'm lazy."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

Will remember.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazynesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home