Friday, May 26, 2006

Penis Frisbee

Since the water polo season ended, I've been playing with club ultimate frisbee. It's been quite fun and good exercise, but there's one glaring problem: boys. Now, I like boys, and normally have nothing against them. And by no means all of them are culprits in what I'm about to describe. But some of them like to play a brand of frisbee that can only be called "Penis Frisbee." Penis frisbee is defined thus:
n.
any kind of ultimate frisbee play in which the males in the game either
a) refuse to pass to wide open girls, throwing to covered boys instead
b) throw the frisbee as far down the field as possible, with no one to receive it
c) make fun of girls' efforts, even when getting schooled by them
d) generally act like cavemen

The term "Penis Frisbee" originated with one of my friends, who most adequately described it as gameplay in which a boy throws the frisbee as far as possible, under the misguided notion that it will somehow prove that he does, in fact, have the largest penis. I have since expanded it to include of all of the criteria in my definition of it.

I had a blessedly penis frisbee-free summer of ultimate frisbee, so the games I've encountered this week have come as something of a shock. Perhaps it's just that I've been playing single-sex sports for 9 months, but the sexism of one boy in particular was jarring. It's been a while since I've seen people being treated as such incompetents for no good reason. Some of the males with frisbee envy seemed unable to grasp the idea that girls can, in fact, both catch the frisbee and pass it successfully, and maybe even run, too. One girl in possession of the frisbee, when a boy demanded she pass it, responded, "No, because you never pass it to me." And she waited until somebody else opened up before passing.

Teamwork be damned, I was proud of her. These moments give me hope and allow me to get beyond the penisy way some people act, to really enjoy things like I should and want to. I can remember that the majority of the boys I've been playing with have been most excellent. In somewhat related news, I did a damn sweet layout on Monday, and then rolled all over the place and got some prodigious grass stains. So I guess this brings me to my point, which is that I understand that testosterone is powerful and you need to prove yourself, but it's a game, meaning you're supposed to have fun, something I doubt you do when all anyone does is throw field-length passes back and forth.

In short: you still have a small penis, so you might as well throw me the plastic disk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sagely friend you've got there


:P

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home