Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Procrastination and Delusions, my cruel lovers

I've discovered something important.  Although I don't have time to talk to my friends while I'm writing a paper, but I do have the time to get a high score in Zuma.  I was talking to a bunch of people online last night, a la middle school, when I was supposed to be writing my paper on the ecological validity of infant cognition.  About four hours from when I knew I would pass out (falling asleep in the library is the opposite of fun: you always wake up to find someone staring at you raptly) I realized that I'd been dicking around for two hours.

I said goodbye to everyone and signed off.  After all, I didn't have time to be wasting.  Well, it turns out that I did.  Two hours after some vigorous writing and deep thoughts on how I could relate infant social cognition and violent conflict, I was distressed.  After days of writing, I had reached the saturation point where I wasn't even really reading the paper anymore, just staring blankly at the words as my eyes ran over them.

I went to that most awful of sites, addictinggames.com, and visited one of my first loves, Zuma.  I had isolated myself in a library full of hostile upperclassmen with who could sit in the same room as me for three hours and pretend that I don't exist.  But it was all for naught.  Zuma and I bonded.  It was just the thought that I was taking a break from work, that I would soon have brilliant insight and write an award-winning essay.  Pretending to be closer to working is comforting.

And now my much neglected favorite thing, a list.  I don't have time to...

...study properly for my Japanese test, but I have time to write a blog entry.

...pay attention to my editor while she's making my article better, but I have time to go get ice cream.

...sleep as much as I want, but I have time to watch the entire first season of House in a week.

technorati tags:, ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Oh, we can't blame you there. House is good enough to neglect any kind of homework.

-Joe

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. Especially for the sleep thing.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home