Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Free Condoms

I wish people would stop handing me condoms. I could rephrase that to make it sound slightly less scandalous, but I won't. It seems that everywhere I go now, people are handing me free condoms. My parents and I had a discussion about free contraceptives. My high school's health center had the "sex room" (with no beds) with pamphlets and information about pregnancy, STDs, etc. But the subject of debate between me and my parents was, in fact, the condom basket featured prominently on a table. Students could walk by and take handfuls of condoms for joyous nights of safe sex. Was this equivalent to the school condoning sex, or just acknowledging that people are going to have sex anyway, and please be safe? Yadayadayada.

Perhaps I look sexually promiscuous, easy to victimize, reckless or none of the above, but people seem to think I need condoms. Now, we're obviously not talking random people on the street eyeing me up and down and informing me, "You look like you need some 'Her Pleasure' Trojans. Please take these," and shoving a pack in my hands. It's mostly AIDs groups and teen health groups and such. According to a survey, only 58% of high schoolers who had sex used a condom the last time they had intercourse. Sort of terrible, considering how diseased some people seem to be anyway (oh snap!).

I would accept the condoms and sheets with AIDs information without complaint much in the same way you take mini-Bibles and pamphlets from people on the street on the off chance that he/she will maul you or impale you on one of the city park's waist-level iron fences if you don't take what he's offering you. It didn't present a problem until my mother discovered fifteen condoms in my purse. She looked to the bag, then back to me. I had collected a grand total of seven packets of condoms/information during my outings. I have a bad habit of just leaving things in my handbags, letting random things pile up in them. We had to have a discussion about how even though I sometimes come home late, it's not because I'm having sex in alleys with men who all prefer different brands of contraceptives.

In short: I'm glad that people are actively trying to get teens aware of how what they do effects them, but why didn't you warn me that I was putting a grape-flavored condom in my purse?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awkward.
-h

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home