Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Omniscience

Sometimes I like to pretend that I am allpowerful. When I was a little kid, I used to sit in the car and will the red lights to change to green. When they changed earlier than I determined they would have normally, I called it a victory and admired my incredible power in the universe. I was important, a secular hand of great power, and no one, including my mother in the driver's seat, knew it. The only thing is that sometimes I still honestly believe that if I will the light to change, it will change faster.

Perhaps this a symptom of believing that I am the center of the universe. I know I'm supposed to love mankind and realize my insignificance. But I think believing that you are the center of the universe can sometimes be healthy. If you're the center of the universe, at least your small one, and you are the allpowerful ruler, you try to take care of it.

And of course there is that part of me that tells me that I am not omniscient, just another person. But there's the other side that just can't stop believing. This is the same side that secretly thought I was going to get my Hogwarts letter. This same side tells me that I really am a superhero, and I just have to wait a little bit longer. And truth be told, I think this is the side that keeps us sane. The only way you could truly be a pessimist would be if you killed this side of you that believes that you can control the impossible. And if growing up and going out into the "real world" means admitting that I will never get my Hogwarts letter, then I don't want it.

Excuse me, I have to go will it to not rain on my graduation day so that I can have my graduation outside on the beautiful lawn like I've been dreaming for years.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey--i hope you have a dry graduation. i thought you would get a kick out of this japanese tea ad

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word to that. I still think that I can talk to the squirrels in my backyard.
AND I hope graduation was amazing. :)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home