Monday, June 05, 2006

Rap Music

Here's my confession: I know a lot of rap and hip hop demeans me as a woman, but I still love it. I feel like much of it is so over the top and ridiculous that it's hard to be offended. Perhaps all you can be in a rap song is a dime, ho, shorty, etc. There's even a song now about how you don't have to be just another dime for this other guy, I'll love you, blah blah blah. But sometimes I think it's okay to drop it like it's hot.

I love all songs about booty. I like Sir Mix-a-Lot's "I Like Big Butts." I like that new song, "Ms New Booty." I think it's hilarious. My mother is always aghast when I belt out the lyrics to these songs. But come one, booty booty booty booty booty, rock it all around? These are not some serious lyrics. And the beat gets me pumped up for homework, driving, and more relevant to right now, packing to go home. I need my simple, crude pleasures.

People have argued with me that it's more dangerous because I don't take these lyrics seriously, because I write them off. But I'm going to pick my battles, and I'm not going to battle with booty. Maybe this means that in fifty years I'll be forced to, as a woman, wear a paper bag with eyes cut out when I go out in public and bind my feet so that I need a wheelchair, but at least I'll have had fun getting there.

In other news, I didn't make the 9rules Round 4 List, which was rather unfortunate. Oh well!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. Rap music is too ridiculous to be bad.

Unfortunate about the 9rules thang, but I think you deserve your own domain. Have you noticed that not one blogger-user is on 9rules? (I think, not checked)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Aidan said...

There are wordpress.com users though...

2:05 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I was actually planning on moving to wordpress this weekend. I already have an account. Blogger's been giving me problems.

Anyway, I think it's time to go listen to "Get Low."

11:17 AM  
Blogger berno said...

Meri, all those songs rock! I too make freinds do a double take when I belt out "I found you Ms new booty..."
Or ridin dirty (which does have the worst lyrics of all time)

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home