Monday, June 19, 2006

DDR

I thought I could dance. Dance Dance Revolution tells me otherwise. According to this device, on a scale of E to AA, I come in at a solid D. I purchased the DDR mats for my PS2 (I saved up money all summer from babysitting to purchase it, and then left it unused because I went to boarding school) this week, and I've enjoyed them enormously. It is, however, something best played alone or with friends who won't judge you, at least initially. I had always imagined that I was endowed with some sense of rhythm, an idea of where to put my feet according to said rhythm, but this was all a lie. I have discovered that I am an uncoordinated girl whose mere attempts at shuffling elicit resounding cries of "BOO!" and "Are you listening to the music?" I am listening, DDR, but it seems that I just can't feel it.

I had sampled DDR at arcades and other people's houses. I always liked to pretend that I was good that just out of practice. This was misleading. I'm not as terrible as you can be, and I am out of practice, but my being in practice was about level with my being out of practice. I do this for a lot of things, actually, bullshitting, I mean. There is a desire to appear at least somewhat skilled at most things that I do in every-dayish life. But I have realized, increasingly, that not only will I not pick up skills by willing myself to learn them fifteen seconds before I must perform, but that I am also slightly clumsy. Perhaps I thought that if I pretended I was one of those kids who is good at everything magically, I would become one. LIES.

But after the crippling blow that DDR dealt to my ego, I am coming to grips with myself. I am not coordinated enough to move one leg forward and the other back at the same time and have them hit the ground simultaneously. I can't figure out when I should tap the pad when the arrows surprise me by requiring three left foot taps in rapid succession. But I can live happily with myself despite this.

In short, Dance Dance Revolution has taught me to love myself. And I am eternally grateful for that.

P.S. I'm sorry about not posting at all last week, except that I was graduating and having fun, so I'm only kind of sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home