Friday, October 06, 2006

6-Month Events

When did sports start having six month seasons? I talked to my mother last night, and she mentioned that there was a severe sporting overlap over the weekend. On the same day there was a baseball game, a football game, a hockey game and a basketball game all at home in D.C. This reminded me of something that has long baffled me: why do we need to have six-month seasons for professional sports? It sort of kills the joy when baseball goes on until November and football starts in August.

I recognize that people are interested in making money. I'm interested in making more money, too. But I don't like watching any one professional sport to endure the coverage for half of the year. Stretching the season is terrible idea. There are enough sports-oriented things going on in America. I have to endure the endless commercials for Madden Football X-treme X7 or whatever ridiculous new name it has. Fifteen different variations of basketball gameplay...play in an alley, on the streets, in the NBA, with freeze frame dialogue. It would make it better if people were not jazzed up for the sports and spurring on the advertisements for half the year. There is no time when I get to rest from sports

I know it's a longer-going phenomenon, but I can't handle that stores started selling Halloween stuff mid-September. It was September, fools! Not time for cardboard cutouts of Jack-o-lanterns yet. And quite honestly, I'm not interested in Halloween candy that someone purchased two months ago. I nearly choked when I walked into a grocery store last year and they were selling Christmas-oriented kitsch before Thanksgiving.

You can have too much of a good thing. Stop killing my love of baseball and Christmas. I refuse to have my joy destroyed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too true! I work in retail, and we have literally been getting ready for Christmas since January. It makes it hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it is time for Christmas. ;)

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home