Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Flyers

Dear Flyer-Man-People-Collective,

I do not want your flyers. If I were really interested in your cafe, I would go there with or without the knowledge that there is a 20% discount for students. And I don't really for the political flyers, either. I know that there are starving children in Africa. My father reminded me of that whenever I couldn't finish my pork chop. It's not like I took the food the starving child's mouth and then didn't finish it. But that's a discussion for another day. If I were interested in the political activist group, I would have looked into it at the activities bazaar.

The fact that the flyer is hot pink does not get me excited for it. Neither does its being green. Pictures do not make it more intriguing. Any flyer I receive gets stuffed in the bottom of my bag. Multi-colored paper just means a more colorful selection of crushed confetti flyers mangled by textbooks when I finally empty the bag at the end of the year. The rainbow confetti of mashed flyers floats to the ground, all of them skimmed or unread.

I don't know who decided it would be an effective form of communication. There's something horrifying and offputting when someone rushes at your from the end of the sidewalk. I don't care if it's a stack of papers or a gun, I don't want you running at me with it. I resent that you make me feel obligated to pick up your flyer and not dispose of it in a place where you can see it. After all, you did go to the effort of badgering me without being too obvious about it, and sometimes you actually believe in what you're handing to me. But that's how I end up witht the flyer confetti, not being able to recycle it like I want to. I mean, it does kind of suck that you have to stand there for a significant chunk of the day handing out paper to the unresponsive masses. So why do people continue to do it?

Perhaps it was a good form of communication before there were paper-waving hoards of flyer-distributors. I'm skeptical. But my annoyance factor is increased even more when there's a long line of people shoving paper into my hand. People oppressed, eat our delicious new calzone, come see the up-and-coming band at our club, etc. NO. You can't make me. And if you're all going to do it, at least spread yourself to different blocks. I respect it when you stand there and let me come to the flyer if I want it (as I very occasionally do). If you follow me with the flyer with an expectant look, and then the gaggle of 20 other people follows, I feel harrassed. I may not even toss out the flyers where you can't see it.

Love,
The-Girl-With-Flyer-Confetti-and-Rage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home