Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Some things never change

I'd forgotten something important about Thanksgiving break.  There are many things I forgot, actually.  For instance, if you're full, you shouldn't try to eat more.  If your father keeps heaping turkey on your plate, you should stop him before he gives you more than you want, therefore obliging you to eat a sickening amount of turkey for fear of wasting food.  It will make you lie on the couch in the fetal position and groan immediately after dinner.  I moaned and watched Jurassic Park as I recovered. 


The nightly news said that the average college student, due to a combination of missing home cooked meals and Thanksgiving being a gluttonous holiday, gain an average of two pounds over the vacation.  I'm entirely unsurprised, given my experience this year.

But there is a more important thing I forgot.  Boys come back from vacations with terrible haircuts.  I don't know it could have slipped from my attention.  I walked into a class today and had to keep myself from staring.  My shining light, the cute boy in the class, had gotten himself a hideous haircut.  A little piece of me dies every time a boy cuts off perfectly good hair.  Somehow I thought that going to college would change this, but apparently I was wrong.  After all, mothers, after not seeing their sons for months, are horrified at the length of their sons' hair until the men are middle-aged.  At that point, men start balding, and cutting hair short becomes a non-issue.

The cute boy had betrayed me with his haircut.  He was still attractive, but it wasn't the same knowing he let his mother cut his hair or send him to a $10 barber.  He should have been more considerate of my eye candy needs.  The look in his eyes told me he knew he looked like a pitifully shorn lamb.  But all across campus, men walk seemingly unaware that something is horribly awry.

Some things, like poor vacation haircut decisions, never change, but the nice haircuts of attractive men should not.

technorati tags:, ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good hair is so difficult to find! I'm terribly sorry your blemish free lambs have been ruined--and there's still christmas to get through too!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Word about the boy holiday haircut craze. The tradition's still going strong here at Exeter and not just on regular holidays, but also on long weekends. Urg...

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home