Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Here are my unbridled (cowboy pun!) feelings on Brokeback Mountain:

It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't awe inspiring, either. I think gay men are hot, which improved it a lot for me, as shallow as that is in comparison to the grand, sweeping, deep issues in the movie. The fundamental problem for me was that I couldn't figure out what the movie's point was supposed to be. On the one hand, it's about the difficulty of being gay in America and not being allowed by society our yourself to admit it or label it in a way that makes it real. On the other hand, it's gay love = just like any other love. The main conflict is something I have to look beyond to see it as just a love story, but the love story is a painful, homosexual one. They're too inextricably linked, and I really don't know how one would move around that.

Originally it raised the question for me: am I just too desensitized? Perhaps I'm too comfortable with homosexuality to be incredibly affected by it, or I'm too desensitized to appreciate it. Have I seen so much violence and suffering and pain that I take it for granted, that I don't feel anything when someone cuts my mental wrist?

I have come to the conclusion that the fault does not lie with me. Perhaps I am sensitivity equivalent of a slab of concrete, but I still think the movie was just okay. But I would also like to add that if we ever mainstream gay romance movies, I will go to them. Not of my duty to promote diversity and embrace everyone, but because I enjoy shirtless men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home