Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Rubik's Cube

The Rubik's Cube may be the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I always associated it with the unhappy folk who spoke good Klingon, but poor English, and failed to embrace deodorant. This idea was further perpetrated by the presence of a Rubik's Cube champion on "Beauty and the Geek 2." I gave my mother a Rubik's Cube to play with while on the telephone, and she told me, after dropping the cube on the table, that the only person she had known to be able to solve a Rubik's Cube had been a jerk, anyway. I agreed that yes, the people I knew who could solve it had perhaps coincidentally been jerks, and very proud of themselves for being able to solve the cube.

Now, however, since I cannot be of the friendless D&D variety of people, I have deigned the Rubik's Cube amazing, and not all that nerdy. I find myself somewhat addicted. I have friends, who happen to be excellent people, who can solve the Rubik's Cube, and have taken it upon myself to become one of these people. I was flabbergasted when I discovered that there is an actual method to solving the cube, rather than just twisting it and chucking it at the wall until it magically comes into place. It turns out that Yale University even offered a legit course during the 80s on solving the Rubik's Cube. If someone decided it was worth a semester long course, then I might as well try it.

Emma devoted significant time one night last month to making me not a complete failure at solving the cube. Her efforts were for something, and I can now, within the space of several minutes, solve one side of the cube! I showcased this new talent for my mother, who was, truth be told, rather unimpressed. It induced excitement about on par with that arising from my finger painting talents. Nevertheless, I have persisted, and find myself constantly fiddling with the Rubik's Cube, feeling triumphant when, by chance, two sides come out correct.

Whether this passion means that the Rubik's Cube isn't just for geeks anymore, or that I'm a geek, I can live with it. Go forth, and cube to your heart's content!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

its still for geeks


love, katie

7:59 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Well, then, geeks are just getting hotter.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home