Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Cocoa Puffs

If there is one thing that can complete my breakfast, it is Cocoa Puffs. Cocoa Puffs, a banana, and a glass of pineapple juice is the way to go. My friend, who is taking a course in nutrition, informed me recently that Cocoa Puffs are 33.3% sugar, which explains a great deal. Mostly, it explains why they are so delicious. I can ignore their sugar content more easily than Lucky Charms, which has hunks of hard sugar masquerading as marshmellows in it.

I was a jack-of-all-trades when I as a kid, bouncing from ballet to lacrosse to soccer to piano to baseball to tennis, and becoming truly a master of none of them. Nothing could hold my attention. I've always been a sampler, and this carried through into my choice of cereal. My parents resisted the introduction of junk food and soda into the house until I was in junior high, but there was a concession for cereal.

My father and I would go out on a massive grocery trip every other Saturday. He pick his healthy cereal with less than 33.3% dry weight in sugar and add it to the cart. If I was satisfied with my cereal choice for the previous two weeks, I would pick it up again, and if not, I would choose another by how compelling the box was. More colorful boxes usually won my favor, and generally the more colorful cereals. Although there was a brief period when I ate Kix, because a girl I idolized at the time ate them, it was a brief stint. I went through Trix, Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, and even Cheerios.

Throughout all that time, my father had resisted my purchasing a chocolately cereal, such as Cocoa Puffs or Cookie Crisp (which is a crime against flavor). At last, after years of wearing him down, I returned from the grocery store triumphant. When asked how they knew their spouse was the one, people have told me that they just knew he/she was the one. And when I took my first bite of Cocoa Puffs, I knew it was the one. It was the cereal I had been waiting for, the one that could finally squelch my sampler tendencies. We were meant to be together.

And Cocoa Puffs and I have been together ever since. I eat them almost every morning, basking in the glory of their sugary, blatantly nonchocolate taste, and marvelling at how they turn my milk into delicious, purple-brown chocolate milk.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way. However, I've noticed that they changed the taste. Instead of being deliciously sweet, I felt more like I was eating paper. I've gotten consistent results across multiple boxes, too. I think they are trying to make them more healthy or something. Have you noticed this? You might not if the first time you had them was in junior high (right?).

12:35 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I had noticed that the flavor changed, and that the milk turned a slightly different color. Initially, I was distraught. But, I feel that like any good relationship, Cocoa Puffs and I can grow and change together.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MD, let me tell you, Cocoa PEBBLES are like, a million-and-a-half times better. But I agree with your premise (the superiority of the chocolatey cereal).

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home