Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Advice

I said yesterday that my opinion on giving advice was for another day, and I have deigned today to be that day. I myself am a frequent solicitor of advice for important decisions. I am almost entirely incapable of making major decisions for myself. For some reason, however, I rarely have doubts about what other people should do, when they ask. When I ask for advice, I'm actually trying to get some helpful input, usually. Others do not seem to share this view.
For example:

"What do you think? Red top, black top?" She flashes the two shirts in front of her chest.
"Red, definitely."
Contemplation of the red shirt in the mirror. "I just don't know."
"I do. Red."
"I mean, I kind of want to go for the flashy red, get some attention, but my mother always said people who wear red shirts to night clubs look like whores."
"Do you want to look like a whore? Would you feel like you look like a whore if you wore the red?"
"No. Probably."
"Then wear the black."
"Maybe."

And then she chooses the formerly unmentioned option C, the green, sparkly shirt. At this point I resist the urge to kick her off her high heels. If you're going to solicit advice, take it or leave it, but don't dangle me. I'm not offended by someone ignoring my advice, because I realize that hearing what you should do from another person sometimes illuminates how stupid that option is. However, the reason you came to another person was that you hoped they would not waffle as you do. If that's not what you're doing, then you are not, in fact, asking for advice, and should warn me in advance of your intentions.

Additionally, if you are truly conflicted about what to do, and receiving advice doesn't help the matter, you must also consider the possibility that the world will not explode if you make what turns out later to be the wrong decision. None of us are Superman, for whom making the wrong decision could result in New York City being melted by a giant death ray. And even Superman has limited level of acceptable indecisiveness because how ridiculous would this be:

Superman: Lois, should I try to destroy the gigantic death ray or try to stop Lex Luthor from poisoning the water supply?
Lois: Does the poisonous water hurt when it kills you?
Superman: Your organs slowly dissolve and bubble in an excruciating manner.
Lois: Water supply, definitely. Stop Lex Luthor.
Superman: I just don't know. I mean, there's so much glory in stopping a death ray. And how do you even go about stopping Lex Luthor?
Lois: Getting killed by a death ray isn't painful. STOP LEX LUTHOR.
Superman: I mean, it's just to hard to figure out what to do. Maybe I should just get a cup of coffee...

Lois punches Superman in the face.

If you address the question directly to another person, they might just assume you actually want to act on their input. If you make it open ended, it leaves it to be musing out loud, with minimal intent to actually do anything with the input. For example, "I can't decide between this red shirt and this black shirt. Hmm." And if Lois says stop Lex Luthor, say, "Okay, thanks," and then ignore her or take her advice. Let that be the end of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home