Monday, April 03, 2006

No, really

I don't know if people are more polite, skeptical, or afraid of offending than they used to be, but it's interfering with my life. See the following conversation:

"Is it okay if I eat the last mozzarella stick?"
"Yeah."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"I mean, I don't want to inconvenience you."
"Eat the mozzarella stick."
"Because I know you really like mozzarella sticks and I thought you might want it, and I didn't know if you were saying it was okay when it really wasn't and you'd be secretly mad at me for like a week."
"NO, REALLY. Eat the mozzarella stick."
"...okay." Furrowed eyebrow.

I don't know what it is, but I've encountered an increasing number of conversations like this. I know it's polite to ask if someone wants the last of something, secretly hoping they won't because you really want it, but only do it once. People can change their minds, and I just might do it sometime to spite you. I know you want it, and you know you want it, and no one's fooled or impressed by the line of questioning, so stop it. It's no longer considered good manners if it annoys the person you're imposing them on. Then it's just asking for a can of whoopass to be opened on you.

I think that if these inane conversations are due to skepticism, it may be tied into the fact that I'm female. I have these conversations with both males and females, who seem to have this belief that all women are incapable of saying what they really want. Men: sometimes we like to toy with you, but not when it's very important, like NOT having a conversation longer than five seconds about a mozzarella stick. Women: I know we know we're all just a little evil, but have a little faith. Sometimes when I say I'm okay with something, I'm really giving it to you straight. I am of the belief that if you don't express your opinion in some matter that you actually care about, it's your own damn fault if it goes awry.

And yes, girls often hold grudges, because a throwdown to release feelings of aggression is usually not an acceptable release of negative energy, but not every perceived jilting leads to plans to have the perpetrator pushed down the social escalator or attacked in a dark alley. Even if I did resent you for eating the mozzarella stick, I would only resent you for a good thirty seconds, and you must be strong enough to weather the brunt of someone's displeasure for at least that long.

I'm not offended by your expressing needs. I have needs, too. You need the last Twizzler, and I need you to be okay with showing me that (but ONLY once). On a similar note, if you ask me for advice, pretend like you're going to take it or at least consider it, not ask it a different way to see if my opinion changes. But that's a discussion for another day.

When I say I'm not offended by your thinking black people have nice booties, or that I don't want the last dumpling, I'm serious, so accept that you may be racist anyway, and eat the dumpling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home