Friday, May 05, 2006

French Onion Soup

I love French onion soup, and I eat it at every possible opportunity. My family is not a soup-inclined family, so I never tasted it until my junior year, when the dining served it and I finally noticed. I tasted it with cheese and croutons, and I've been addicted ever since. The dining hall copped out yesterday, though, and listed the soup as "Chef's Choice" rather than French onion; it never occurs to me to check out what the soup is. So, when my friend sat down with a hot bowl of French onion soup, I immediately squealed and made a dash for the soup pot.

I had already eaten much of my dinner, so I didn't think I had room for a big bowl. I picked up one of the small bowls and brought it to the pot. I brought the ladle out of the steaming soup, and looked in horror at its large size. I would have to be careful getting the soup in the bowl. I tipped the ladle, and immediately poured boiling soup in the bowl, but also on my hand. I shrieked and immediately let go of the bowl. I looked on in surprise as the bowl dropped into the pot with a plop. It just seemed so out of the realm of possibility that I would lose the bowl in the pot of soup.

I glanced around. No one had seen. I stood in front of the pot, fishing around, trying to get the bowl into the ladle and extract the bowl. After about two minutes of angry stirring, I finally succeeded. I put the bowl in a larger bowl on the counter and smiled in triumph. When I looked up, however, one of the dining hall staff was staring at me with a look on her face that clearly said, "FREAK." I took a big bowl of onion soup, like I should have in the beginning, and gave myself extra cheese to console myself.

What you should learn from this story: yes, you can get first-degree burns from soup. And if something seems like a bad idea, you're probably right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's the problem with French Onion Soup though, it's so delicious. I usually have mine with a piece of french bread on top with a thick layer of cheese melted over that. very delicious, and there's always rooms for seconds.

the only thing I dislike is when the break gets soggy, so I usually use biscuits or something similar, especially the ones you can peel off in layers.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home