Tuesday, January 30, 2007

BUMP!

I have come to a conclusion: college students are assholes. But the passive aggressive kind. And only in one particular circumstance (well, some engage in being unpleasant at other times, too, but I'm putting that aside). This time when people are at their worst is while walking to class.

The masses surge into the streets of the city, jaywalking en masse. They jostle, shove, and do anything short of push people moving in opposite directions into oncoming traffic to get to the next class five minutes early (for a power nap before lecture). There are these distinct, fifteen minute windows in which slow walkers are blessedly abused and eaten alive. But with slow walkers out of the way, there is only one concern: not being the one thrown in front of the speeding Jeep.

There are no real words to describe the chaos. I guess the best way to put it is this: I've seen riots less brutal than what I endure two to three times a day. Going off on a tangent, I do this thing where a part of me thinks that if I keep on my present trajectory, the corner of the railing or chair will move out of my way, bowing to my supreme will. They don't, and I run into them. Many of the walkers do the same thing, only with people. There are butt cracks between buildings into which people stream from side stairwells in the buildings. The students rush to turn into the main flow of the foot traffic, wielding their blunt instruments, cleverly concealed in tote bags.

I engage in a battle of wills with these people, especially when people turn to move in the opposite direction as me. Today a girl took a wide arc out of a building butt crack and our shoulders slammed against each other, forcing us almost off balance with the force of our passive aggressive rage. Neither of us muttered an apology, and looked peeved.

Filled with anger and stress that we're not allowed to express, we use these daily rituals to let it out, battering each other. It's mortal combat: no mercy.

technorati tags:, , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home