Thursday, October 12, 2006

Narcolepsy and the Sleep Obsessed Masses

I have begun to think that college students are narcoleptic. Either that or obsessed with sleep. I sat down in my Introduction to Cognitive Science course yesterday, in the back. Normally I sit in the middle, hoping that the man of my dreams will sit down, sweep me off my feet, and be my study buddy. There are fewer places for him to sit near me if I sit in the back. Anyway, I went to the back because it didn't require my climbing over anyone to get to a seat.

Two latecomers came in and chose seats on either side of me. Twenty minutes into class, I noted that the girl on the left kept jerking her elbow around on the armrest. I glanced surreptitiously at her, and saw that she was resting her head on her arm. When she fell asleep, her arm jerked, and her elbow slipped off the armrest. Thus explaining the bizarre behavior. Ten minutes later, I saw that the motionless guy on my right was motionless because he had been passed out for almost the entire lecture. His notes were slowly sliding off his lap and making their way to the floor. His head was thrown back and his mouth wide open, the crown of his skull pressing against the wall. When I looked up and down the row, I discovered that I was the only one who was alert. Everyone else was in various stages of sleep. I felt like I'd entered some sort of alternate universe where I was the only one able to stay awake.

Then today, the sleeping obsessed bug caught me. I spent the entire hour and fifteen minutes of my English class envisioning the nap I had planned out for directly after it. My professor was talking, and all I heard was, "You cannot take your nap yet!" I was awake but zoned during the entire class; I even participated for most of it. I have absolutely no idea what I said, but I remember that he nodded, so it must have come at as English, at least. It was the most satisfying nap of all time, I would like to note.

The problem with naps, though, is that when I wake from them, I feel lethargic for at least half an hour after I awake. And since that nap was so satisfying, all I can think about now is how the need to write a paper and study for a test I'm taking tomorrow is interfering with my passing out as early as I want tonight. I will read the Japanese grammar points and all I will read is, "You cannot go to sleep yet!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is soooo true.

"My professor was talking, and all I heard was, "You cannot take your nap yet!"" Lol. You really put that perfectly... I have that feeling at a lot of my afternoon classes. :D

12:17 AM  
Blogger Katharine Sofia said...

I was doing fine up until this week. My psychology lecturer decided that it would be a good idea to show us some slides. Slides are, of course, best viewed with the lights off. It turns out that's when the backs of my eyelids are best viewed, too.

I catch myself yawning through Economics, blinking slowly during Persian, and dropping my pen from slackened fingers in Psychology. I dream about skipping lectures to sleep. I wake up from mid-day naps where I drempt about sleeping.

I have become sleep obsessed.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Ever emerge from slumber in class and see the professor looking right at you? That keeps you awake for the rest of the hour.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home