Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween and Miniskirts: not meant to be

I read a very interesting article a few days ago.  It was about slutty Halloween costumes.  More specifically, it addressed their proliferation.  85% of costumes sold for women are basically the same costume with a different colored mini-skirt.  This was not true at my high school, which had a strict dress code, including skirts short enough to casually flash passers-by.

I went Liq-uor Treating (exactly what you think) in my res. college on Saturday night.  On my way around, I suddenly understood what they were talking about in Mean Girls: Halloween is an excuse for girls to dress as sluttily as they want, and no one else can say anything.  I looked around me and there was girl wearing a referee costume.  The entire outfit was maybe two and a quarter feet from bust line to skirt.  Every time she took a step, she gave the world a look at her underwear.  I cringed, unfamiliar with what was going on all around me.  Everywhere I looked, girls were making true what I'd read.

I took the road less traveled.  As my suitemate put it, "There's a line between being slutty and making yourself actively ugly with your costume."  I tried to tread that line.  And thus my initial idea of being a lumberjack was nixed.  Next, I had wanted to be a laundry basket for the Saturday night activities, but I copped out and was too lazy.  My costume was one step up from the incredible cop out costume of "I'm a student."  I was a kindergärtner on my first day dressing myself.  I had several layers on and my layers covered me, so I wasn't freezing away in a miniskirt.  It was an exciting time.

My question is this: given all the interesting things you could dress up as, why would you dress up as a slutty referee? Or slutty elf? Or a slutty laundry basket? It's just too cold to have wind blowing up your nether bits.  I learned to dress warmly after the no-Daddy-I-want-to-be-a-genie! debacle of  1996.  Halloween's supposed to be about imagination, an opportunity to be Darth Vader, if you want to.  I guarantee you you're not enjoying Halloween properly if your costume has a miniskirt for no reason related to the costume.  I severely doubt that the coolest thing you could think of to be was an inadequately dressed nurse.  Why does Halloween have to be sexualized? The slutty *insert persona* isn't even about sex.  It's so sexualized that it's not even about the act.

So put on some damn clothing.  Just looking at you makes me cold.

technorati tags:, ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Darth Vader in a mini-skirt?
Mmmmmmmm...

-Joe

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could happen Joe, it could happen...

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home