Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Well, I guess I might as well write about it.  After all, I ignored it entirely last year, opting to write about my superior opinions on obesity.  My plans for this day are as follows: a romantic dinner with my suitemates.  Oh, and the dean of the college is coming to give a special guest lecture in my psychology class, which is apparently amazing.

I've never minded Valentine's Day terribly much.  It's about as significant to me as Arbor Day, except that I receive flowers and Disney-themed cards from surprising people.  Oh, and the chocolate I consume is heart-shaped.  Come now.  Would you cry over not being able to plant a tree on Arbor Day? So why cry because you don't have a significant other in an arbitrarily chosen day of the year? If you answered yes to the Arbor Day question, there are bigger issues than I can address.  And I'm no more aware of couples than I am at other times of the year.  Valentine's Day is just a one-day license for the gross, joined-at-the-mouth couples to kick it into overdrive, and I filter them out, anyway. 

But there's one aspect of it that I do find unbearable: PINK.  It's everywhere on Valentine's Day.  Back in the day, when my dream was to grow up to be Tom Hanks, I developed an aversion to the color.  Part of growing up to be a man meant detesting girly things, like personal hygiene and the color pink.  While I've embraced the former, I'm still ambivalent about the latter.  I'll admit, I've purchased a couple of hot pink pieces of clothing, but that's because hot pink is obnoxious, and therefore exempt.

Top Five Songs For Valentine's Day (fun music about love, another thing the day is good for):

1. Lovers of Loving Love - The Aquabats
2. 500 Miles - The Proclaimers
3. Happy Valentine's Day - Outkast
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
5. You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate

technorati tags:, ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

I've never heard that much of Lionel Ritchie, I confess, but I'll look into it.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home